In this section of the Warre Hive Construction Guide we will build the hive roof. It forms the covering for the whole beehive. The Warre hive roof is fairly easy to build with regular woodworking tools. Let’s begin!
Step 1: Prepare the Parts
To build a Warre hive roof we will need to cut the following wood pieces:
- 2 end gables measuring 39cm long by 21cm wide (15 3/8″ long by 8 1/4″ wide)
- 2 sides measuring 35cm long by 12cm wide (13 3/4″ long by 4 3/4″ wide)
- 2 roof panels measuring 50cm long by 21cm wide (19 11/16″ long by 8 1/4″ wide)
- 1 ridge panel measuring 50cm long by 6cm wide (19 11/16″ long by 2 3/8″ wide)
- 1 coverboard measuring 39cm long by 35cm wide by 1cm thick (15 3/8″ long by 13 3/4″ wide by 3/8″ thick) This cover board can be made from 3/8″ or 1/2″ thick outdoor grade plywood.
You will also need:
- Nails or screws
- Smaller nails or screws to fasten the coverboard
Take one of the end gables measuring 39cm long by 21cm wide (15 3/8″ long by 8 1/4″ wide) and lay it on your work surface. Decide which long side of the board you want to be the top. Now place a mark on each side of the board 16cm (6 5/16″) up from the bottom. If you have a combination square or speed square, set it for 72 degrees. Place the square at the mark and draw a line towards the top of the board.
If you do not have a square, simply find the middle of the board and put a mark there. It should be around 19.5cm (7 11/16″) from either side. Now place two marks 2cm (13/16″) on each side of this middle mark. Draw some lines from these marks to the marks you put on the side of the board. Cut along these lines to create the gables. Complete this same process for the other long side measuring 39cm long by 21cm wide (15 3/8″ long by 8 1/4″ wide).
Step 2: Build the Roof
Take both of the short roof sides measuring 35cm long by 12cm wide (13 3/4″ long by 4 3/4″ wide) and stand them up on your work surface. Lay one of the end gables you just cut on top of the short sides. Align the bottoms together so that the gables extend beyond the tops of the short sides. Fasten the three sides together.
Almost done! Go on to the next page where we will finish building the hive roof.